Statewide Grand Jury Indicts Insurance Broker for Fraud and Theft

The following information was released by the office of the Colorado Attorney General:

The statewide grand jury indicted George Gonzalez, 55, of Denver on 14 counts for allegedly diverting thousands of dollars in insurance premium payments instead of sending them to insurance companies as required by law, Attorney General Phil Weiser announced today.

“When a licensed agent sells an insurance policy to customers, they are required by law to hold premium funds collected in a fiduciary account and then remit all premium funds to the insurer. Insurance fraud is a serious crime that affects all consumers. Those who attempt to engage in insurance fraud will be held to account,” said Attorney General Weiser. “We are encouraging anyone who made payments to Amerimex Insurance Agency for insurance from 2023 to 2026 to contact our office.”

Gonzalez is a licensed agent and owns Amerimex Insurance, LLC, an insurance broker affiliated with Premier Group Insurance with locations in Aurora, Brighton, and Denver. According to the indictment, Gonzalez and Amerimex contracted directly with Pinnacol Assurance to sell workers compensation insurance to businesses. Through its investigation, Pinnacol identified eight policies created between February 28, 2022 and January 8, 2024, in which Gonzalez collected premium funds for workers compensation policies but did not remit all the funds to Pinnacol. In total, the amount of money paid by insured customers intended for Pinnacol Assurance but diverted by Gonzalez was at least $2,949.39, according to court documents.

Pinnacol reported Gonzalez and Amerimex to the Financial Fraud Unit in the Criminal Justice Section of the Colorado Department of Law in January 2024. A state investigation and review of business and bank records showed that Gonzalez diverted premium funds paid by customers from at least eight additional insurance companies. The premium funds intended for these eight insurance companies diverted by Gonzalez amounted to $97,233.71. Gonzalez does not contract directly with these eight insurance companies and instead contracts with Premier Group to sell the policies and receives commissions through Premier Group.

The fiduciary account in which premium funds were held was a Chase Bank account with Gonzalez listed as the owner.

Gonzalez is charged with nine counts of insurance fraud, a class 5 felony, one count of class 5 felony theft, and four counts of class 4 felony theft. The case is filed in Denver District Court, and the case number is 26CR15031.

Customers who made a payment to Amerimex Insurance Agency for insurance from 2023-2026 and believe that their payment may have been more than what was paid to their insurance company, are encouraged to contact the Colorado Attorney General’s Office at Amerimexinfo@coag.gov.

A grand jury indictment is a formal accusation that an individual committed a crime under Colorado laws. All defendants are presumed innocent until proven guilty.

A Spartanburg County, South Carolina, woman was charged with insurance fraud and financial identity fraud on Tuesday, March 24.

According to an arrest warrant, on July 21, 2025, Miranda Jeanette Fuller knowingly submitted a false claim for insurance payment to Progressive. Fuller contacted Progressive to file an automobile claim on behalf of another person and while doing so falsely represented herself as the policyholder.

Additionally, the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division said that Fuller submitted photos of vehicle damage that contained metadata indicating that the damage pre-dated the reported loss date of July 19, 2025.

The investigation further revealed that the same photos were previously submitted from Fuller’s email account to a different insurance carrier. This other claim was denied.

The other arrest warrant said that Fuller used the policyholder’s personal information and digital signature to file the claim, while falsely representing herself as the policyholder.

After the South Carolina Department of Insurance requested SLED to investigate, state investigators charged the 47-year-old with presenting a false claim for insurance payment – value more than $2,000 but less than $10,000 and financial identity fraud.

Fuller was booked into the Spartanburg County Detention Center.

The case will be prosecuted by the South Carolina Department of Insurance.

Pennsylvania Attorney General Dave Sunday charged a York County man who, investigators say, committed insurance fraud, getting thousands of dollars in payouts.

Taofiq Salami, 30, of York Haven, faces numerous charges, including:

Insurance fraud
Identity theft
Forgery
Title washing

Investigators say Salami used fake and stolen identities, as well as those of other people, to buy and insure scrapped vehicles.

Salami reported accidents that didn’t happen to get more than $180,000 in insurance payouts.

Salami was arrested in Berks County when he went to court for an unrelated case.

A Syracuse woman allegedly filed three home insurance claims in a week last year.

The problem, according to prosecutors, is that the woman does not own the house, and nothing actually happened to the residence.

Katherine Ann Davis, 37, was charged Friday with insurance fraud and identity fraud, second-degree felonies, and four counts of forgery, a third-degree felony.

Davis started a homeowner’s policy with Allstate on Oct. 24, 2025, for a home in Syracuse. She then filed claims on Oct. 24 for a fire, on Oct. 28 for vandalism, and again on Oct. 30 for theft, according to charging documents.

“In support of the claims … Davis provided Allstate with four receipts/invoices totaling more than $5,000 in alleged items that she paid out of pocket as a result of the loss,” the charges state.

Allstate, however, denied all three claims after learning that Davis “does not, and has not, held ownership of the property in question,” according to the charges.

Furthermore, the Utah Attorney General’s Office investigated the companies that Davis said she paid after the fire and “could find no evidence of these companies.”

Last week, an investigator went to the home Davis claimed to own. The homeowner said Davis used to date her son, but the homeowner had not seen Davis for three years, the charges say. Additionally, the home had not been damaged for several years.

A New Haven woman was arrested last Wednesday after allegedly orchestrating a scheme that defrauded nearly $65,000 from the Connecticut Medicaid program.

Vartaysha Reed, 26, appeared in New Haven Superior Court this week, according to a report from the state Division of Criminal Justice on Thursday.

She is charged with one count of health insurance fraud and one count of first-degree larceny by defrauding a public community.

Investigators from the Medicaid Fraud Control Unit say Reed was employed as a personal care assistant, or PCA, when she allegedly filed inaccurate timesheets and was paid for work that she did not provide.

The PCA program is funded by Medicaid and provides recipients who have permanent, severe and chronic disabilities with money to hire PCAs to physically help them with daily self-care activities.

Assistance from PCAs allows these individuals to remain active in their communities and continue living in their homes.

Prosecutors say that from May 24, 2024, through Dec. 13, 2024, Reed submitted time sheets saying she was offering services to a recipient in that person’s home.

Investigators counter that the recipient was hospitalized and/or out of state for numerous stretches when Reed said she provided them care.

Furthermore, Reed is said to have continued billing Medicaid for months after the recipient died.

This is how she made $64,954 in claims, according to the DCJ report.

Prosecutors say that the act of profiting off the scheme constitutes as larceny in the first degree by defrauding a public community.

They add that Reed’s submission of claims to the Connecticut Department of Social Services contained false, incomplete, deceptive and misleading information, which makes it health insurance fraud.

Reed was released on a $50,000 non-surety bond before appearing in court on Wednesday.

Prosecutors emphasize in their report that the charges against Reed are merely accusations and that she is considered innocent until and unless proven guilty beyond reasonable doubt in a court of law.

If she is found guilty, both charges are Class B felonies. Each is punishable by up to two decades in prison.

The case was investigated and will be prosecuted by the Medical Fraud Control Unit, which expressed gratitude in its report for the assistance of the CT DSS’ Office of Quality Assurance and the Newington Police Department.

An Arlington resident is facing a charge of first-degree theft after the Washington Department of Labor & Industries (L&I) conducted a workers’ compensation fraud investigation.

Jon Paul Traff, 49, allegedly received more than $80,000 in workers’ compensation benefits after claiming he was too injured to work.

β€œAfter getting hurt at one job, and getting time-loss benefits for being too injured to work, Mr. Traff got hurt again at a second job, and tried to claim benefits for that injury, too,” Randy Littlefield, the deputy assistant director of L&I’s Customer Service, Compliance, and Public Safety Division, stated. β€œThis type of fraud hurts the employer, and hurts people with legitimate injuries who need help.”

Traff was a district sales manager for Mission Foods in 2017 when he filed a claim with L&I for an on-the-job injury involving his back, neck, and shoulders. The company approved his request to receive workers’ compensation payments and worker retraining benefits.

Seven years later, Traff filed a second on-the-job injury claim with L&I, this time as an area sales director with Flowers Baking Co. According to the injury report, he worked at Flowers for nearly two years before the injury occurred.

But Traff signed 78 worker-status forms telling L&I he was still too injured from the injury he suffered at Mission Foods to work while allegedly collecting another salary, and a subsequent second injury claim, with Flowers Baking Co. His salary with Flowers Baking Co. was more than $68,000.

β€œEven if someone is working in Washington for an out-of-state company, they still need to follow the rule,” Littlefield said. β€œWe’re watching to make sure they do.”

Both companies have locations in Everett, with Mission Foods headquartered in Texas and Flowers Baking headquartered in Oregon.

Traff is scheduled for a pre-trial hearing in April in Snohomish County Superior Court.

Federal prosecutors have charged the owner of a Klamath Falls medical lab with health care fraud, alleging the man submitted $46 million in fake claims to Medicare Advantage plans over a six-month period.

Authorities allege Jahangeer Ali used his business, Oregon Clinical Laboratory, to collect more than $28 million from fraudulent payments.

According to court documents, investigators have yet to find a single person named in those claims who received lab services. Those contacted by investigators had never heard of Oregon Clinical Laboratory, according to court documents.

Authorities say Ali paid individuals to check mail and sit in the β€œnearly empty storefronts” of Oregon Clinical Laboratory and another business in Utah.

Ali is a Pakistani national who came to the U.S. on a student visa. He was awaiting a decision on asylum.

Authorities arrested Ali at the Los Angeles International Airport before he boarded a one-way flight to Turkey.

In a request to be released on bail, Ali claims he wasn’t the mastermind behind the scheme but rather tricked into participating by a friend in Pakistan.

β€œ[Ali] is a vulnerable individual from Pakistan who came to the United States on a student visa, lost status after he could no longer afford tuition, applied for refugee status because of ongoing conflict in his home region, and was then recruited and manipulated by others who used his name and Social Security number to set up sham laboratory businesses,” according to court documents filed by his attorney.

Ali claims to have been threatened if he didn’t help in the fraud and he eventually decided to flee the country in fear. Authorities believe he planned to return to Pakistan.

A U.S. District judge has denied Ali’s request for release.

The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Office of Inspector General and Federal Bureau of Investigation are investigating the case.

A Texas Department of Insurance (TDI) investigator and crime analyst played a key role in stopping a Russian national who filed $400 million in fake Medicare claims.

Nikolai Buzolin was living in Houston in 2025 when he created a durable medical equipment company and stole patients’ and doctors’ identities to submit fake claims to health plans that administer Medicare Part C. He opened eight bank accounts to deposit the $1.7 million he received in reimbursements.

β€œA few of the patients checked their explanation of benefits and noticed that they were getting medical equipment that they didn’t need. And it was coming from doctors they’d never met,” said TDI Fraud Unit investigator, Sgt. Kevin Mannion.

Buzolin appeared in court March 5 and faces up to 20 years in prison if found guilty.

Mannion is part of the FBI Task Force in Houston that surveilled and investigated Buzolin. Once they had enough information to arrest Buzolin, the Task Force went to his house in Houston, but the suspect had already fled. A TDI crime analyst then tracked his car to Los Angeles where local FBI agents arrested Buzolin as he was boarding a plane to Russia.

Mannion and the FBI also worked with the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and the Texas Office of the Attorney General.

β€œTDI works with federal, state, and local partners to follow cases wherever they go, whether it’s California or right here in Texas,” said Mannion. β€œWe track them down, we shut them down, and we help dismantle these criminal activities.”

If you suspect insurance fraud, call TDI’s Help Line at 800-252-3439 Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Central time.

Richard Darrel Wolfe, 67, of Hendersonville, was indicted by a Sumner County grand jury in late February. He was charged with 14 counts of theft and three forgery counts, dating to 2023 and 2024, court records show.

Investigators began looking into Wolfe’s alleged actions in November, after several local businesses alleged that the man had sold insurance policies but had not secured coverage, The Hendersonville Standard and other news sites reported.

The National Association of Insurance Commissioners’ agent verification records show a Rick D. Wolfe in Hendersonville with an expired insurance producer license and an inactive surplus lines license. He was appointed with several property-casualty and life insurance carriers until 2020.

Rick Wolfe’s Linkedin page indicates he owned an agency in Hendersonville for 31 years.

United States Attorney Craig H. Missakian announced criminal charges against an individual for perpetrating a large-scale fraud targeting federal health care funds distributed through the Medicare Advantage program. Anar Rustamov, a national of Azerbaijan who appears to have entered the United States illegally, was indicted yesterday by a federal grand jury and charged with health care fraud for a scheme involving thousands of false claims for medical equipment totaling more than $90 million.

According to the indictment, Rustamov, 38, formerly of Sunnyvale, California and a national of Azerbaijan, was part of a scheme to submit thousands of fraudulent claims to Medicare Advantage Organizations (β€œMAOs”) on behalf of unsuspecting beneficiaries for medical equipment such as blood glucose monitors and orthotic braces. The indictment alleges that Rustamov, from October 2024 through June 2025, executed a scheme through an entity Rustamov created, Dublin Helping Hand, to submit large volumes of claims to MAOs offering Medicare Part C benefit plans. The indictment alleges the scheme sought reimbursement of more than $90 million for medical equipment that was not provided, not needed by patients, and not authorized by a medical provider. The listed patients were unaware that Rustamov and others were submitting the claims, and the referring medical provider listed on the submissions did not authorize the claims, according to the indictment. The defendant is at large.

β€œWhen the Administration declared a War on Fraud, it meant to target exactly this kind of conduct. Rustamov participated in a scheme to steal nearly $100 million in taxpayer funds from a program intended to help those who truly need medical care,” said United States Attorney Craig H. Missakian. β€œAnyone who believes they can make easy money by defrauding such programs should know that we will continue to work with our law enforcement partners to identify, investigate, and prosecute such fraud and abuse.”

β€œThis case alleges a calculated scheme to exploit a critical health care program for personal gain, attempting to siphon tens of millions of dollars through thousands of fraudulent claims for medical equipment. Programs like Medicare Advantage are funded by American taxpayers and exist to provide essential care to those who need it most β€” not to be manipulated for profit,” said Acting Special Agent in Charge Matt Cobo. β€œThe FBI and our partners will continue to aggressively pursue individuals who attempt to defraud these vital programs and hold them accountable.”

β€œThe criminal charges announced today reflect the seriousness with which we pursue schemes that undermine the Medicare Advantage program. The scheme alleged in this indictment targeted funds intended to provide necessary health care services to Medicare enrollees,” said Robb R. Breeden, Special Agent in Charge of the San Francisco Regional Office of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Office of the Inspector General (HHS-OIG). β€œThis indictment underscores that HHS-OIG, in collaboration with our law enforcement partners, will pursue those who attempt to exploit federal health care programs β€” no matter where they attempt to hide.”

An indictment merely alleges that crimes have been committed, and all defendants are presumed innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. If convicted, the defendant faces a maximum sentence of 20 years in prison and a fine of $250,000 for each violation of 18 U.S.C. Β§ 1347. Any sentence following conviction would be imposed by the court after consideration of the U.S. Sentencing Guidelines and the federal statute governing the imposition of a sentence, 18 U.S.C. Β§ 3553.

The case is being prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Maya Karwande with the assistance of Lynette Dixon. The prosecution is the result of an investigation by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Office of Inspector General and the Federal Bureau of Investigation.